Monday, July 2, 2012

Farm Journal - First Entry


It's hard to believe that I have been working on this farm since mid-February. The amount of growth and the change of seasons has been truly eye opening. Never before have I been so close to the intimate processes of the spring bloom and the summer harvest. It is now the beginning of July and we already have a few crops that we are finished harvesting for the summer. Radishes are now finished, as well as brazing mix (tat soi and other asian greens) and I believe that we are nearly done with arugula as well.
The upper field is awash in different shades of green as the brassicas spread their leaves towards the high afternoon sun. The onions and other alliums create the illusion of a field of light green grass from afar, and the clover cover crop planted between the rows looks nearly like moss in a Northwest rainforest. This afternoon I plan on mulching the onions to help keep the rest of the weeds down until they're ready to harvest. I had the pleasure last week of running the cultivating tractor through the onion patch to remove weeds and push the dirt up against the rows of onions. I really enjoy using the power equipment here on the farm, and the cultivating tractor is no exception. It is a much more delicate process than using the Kubota, as one small missed adjustment could rip out an entire row of the crop you're weeding, the spider wheels spinning mercilessly into the soft plant flesh. 
The sense of community within both the interns and the youth harvest has grown immensely. I feel as though I have made friendships that will last long after the summer is over. For the first time since I moved to Missoula, I feel as though I can truly call it my home. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you back writing on your blog. Sounds like you are in Montana-heaven, which makes this mama very happy! See you in a few days.

    ReplyDelete