Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oil Pulling and Natty Toothpaste?

    So after dealing with painful gums for the past couple of years I'm trying a natural approach to improving my oral health. Oil Pulling is a form of ayurvedic medicine from India, in which one swishes around oil (generally sesame oil) for 15-20 minutes at a time. This is said to "pull toxins out through your saliva". I actually believe it just helps give your body some good omegas and other nutrients while rinsing out your mouth...but whatever. Claims have been made that it helps cure everything from receding gums to joint pain, and I wanted to see what all of the hype was about. I'll report my findings in a couple of  weeks.
   Another natural product I'm going to try and create is natural toothpaste. Flouride has already been banned from water in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Austria, France and The Netherlands...so I don't really think I want to consume/absorb any more than I have to. 
I plan on using coconut oil, baking soda, some sort of tea-tree extract or another essential oil and a sweetener such as stevia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment